We encourage our children to spend as much time as possible outside in the fresh air and we foster a love of outdoor exploration and fun – whatever the weather!
We have a “big garden” which is mainly for our pre-school children and older toddlers and a “small garden” for our children aged under 2. All children have daily outdoor play and outdoor learning sessions. Even our youngest babies and toddlers benefit from regular sessions in the “big garden” where there is plenty of space for more physical activities. Both gardens are fully-enclosed and offer a great range of outdoor activities and experiences. Whenever possible, we encourage the children to enjoy “free flow” between the indoors and outdoors.
Outdoor play and learning help children develop their motor skills, coordination, communication, balance and stamina. Many outdoor learning activities are closely aligned to the Early Years Curriculum and literacy, language, numeracy and “the world around us” feature in nearly all our outdoor activities.
The “Big Garden” at Jack and Jill features:
- Wooden playhouse – a multi-purpose den used by the children in many different ways; perfect for role-plays from shop to café and from house to bakery!
- A large digging pit – great for getting mucky and bug-hunts
- Planting area – great for budding gardeners
- Mud kitchen – all kinds of “food” are cooked up here!
- Bug hotel and weather station
- Story corner – great for improving focussed listening skills
- Water play station – with measuring and weighing activities
- Art and mark-making tables
- Lots of outdoor games including balls, hoops, balance beam, etc.
Typical outdoor activities can include:
- Water play
- Outdoor arts and crafts
- Jumping and balancing challenges
- Bugs and mud
- Balls and bouncing
- Sand table
- Garden games
- Outdoor theatre
- Chalk wall
- Outdoor snacks
- Weather station
Our playground and outdoor activities change with the seasons and with current topics and events to ensure a world of discovery and exploration.